Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Volk branch on github

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Volk branch on github
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 10:27:20 -0800

> You would have:
>
> for(size_t i = 1; i < input_items.size(); i++)
>   volk_32fc_x2_multiply_32fc(is_unaligned(), out, out,
> (gr_complex*)input_items[i], noi);
>
> You halve the amount of code in gnuradio blocks which to my opinion
> makes it much more maintainable.

Here is a possible solution, I dont know how viable it is.

1) Suppose that we have the gotten to a head or tail case where the
number of samples isnt an alignment multiple or the last call to work
ended us on a non-aligned boundary.

2) In an effort to re-align, the scheduler could memcpy the *smallest*
possible chunk into aligned memory, pad the length, call work, and
memcpy the result to the output buffer.

3) Now the next call to work will always be aligned. Also, the work
function never needs to change, and will always use the aligned call.

I tried to implement this in gr block executor, but got confused trying
to handle all of the edge cases, like multiple IO ports with different
data types. And so, how the block would configure the scheduler in the
most generic of cases isnt clear to me. But, even if it was
oversimplified, I still think its the better way to solve 90% of the use
cases.

Thoughts?

-Josh