Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Volk branch on github

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Volk branch on github
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:06:00 -0500

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 6:45 AM, Martin DvH <address@hidden> wrote:

I think it would make sense to change the volk interface by adding
kernel calls which can handle the two alignment cases (aligned,
unaligned).
We would have to add a is_unaligned parameter to the volk kernel calls.

The gnuradio blocks would then change in the following way:

So in stead of:

if(is_unaligned()) {
 for(size_t i = 1; i < input_items.size(); i++){
   volk_32fc_x2_multiply_32fc_u(out, out, (gr_complex*)input_items[i],
noi);
 }
} else {
 for(size_t i = 1; i < input_items.size(); i++){
   volk_32fc_x2_multiply_32fc_a(out, out, (gr_complex*)input_items[i],
noi);
 }
}

You would have:

for(size_t i = 1; i < input_items.size(); i++)
 volk_32fc_x2_multiply_32fc(is_unaligned(), out, out,
(gr_complex*)input_items[i], noi);

You halve the amount of code in gnuradio blocks which to my opinion
makes it much more maintainable.

Martin

Martin,

I think that's a good idea. The only real question is if we can (easily) implement it with the runtime dynamics of the Volk calls. It basically moves the decision from GNU Radio into Volk, but since we're looking at Volk as behind-the-scenes stuff, it's more logical to place the responsibility there than expose it to GR block developers.

Thanks,
Tom