Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reminder about call today

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reminder about call today
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:24:03 -0500

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:06 AM, George Nychis <address@hidden> wrote:
Hey all,

I actually really want to join the call, because I have a GSoC idea, but I have a conflict with teaching assistant duties during that time.

Hi George,
Sorry the timing won't work out this month.

So I thought I'd briefly share, and if it does become of interest then maybe someone can get ahold of me and I could try to mentor or something.  I thought it might be cool to show that GNU Radio and the USRPP can be more than just about wireless technology, pushing forward on a hot topic recently: PowerLine networking.

I've been trying to dig up details of PowerLine implementations, but I think they are typically very "wireless PHY" oriented.  I think they are in general OFDM based with Turbo Convolutional Codes.  I think that GNU Radio already provides a lot of the blocks that would be necessary to build the PHY. I am not sure of what the necessary frontend might be for this, but maybe by the summer if Matt and GNU Radio folks are truly interested, a prototype could be made.

Some info i found on PowerLine details:
http://helpfromageek.com/2011/05/18/white-paper-powerline-networking/

Interesting thought. Powerline communications have been discussed for quite a while, but they tend to be horrible channels (old copper, long distances, bad shielding, etc.). So yes, I'd expect OFDM for the equalization and multipath (or 'echos' in this case) issues and heavy channel coding are required.

My main question regarding this topic is to figure out what would be necessary to create a test bed to try it out on? Obviously, we aren't going to stick the Rx/Tx port of the USRP into a wall socket :)

Thanks for the idea!

Tom