Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC: Just compile XML, no GUI

From: mleech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC: Just compile XML, no GUI
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:47:08 -0500

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:20:05 -0500, Tom Rondeau wrote:

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Martin Braun <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi (most likely Josh),

I was wondering if it's a big deal to give gnuradio-companion a switch
to just compile a .grc file without firing up the GUI.

Specifically, I was hoping to have unit tests for GRC files, so I wanted
to automatically use the GRC checking features to test .grc files.
However, I started digging in the code... and it seems to be very
closely intertwined with the GUI. And, to be honest, I got a bit lost in
there :)

So, something like direct access to the Generator class would be
great. Any hints?

MB
Martin,
On the GRC  page, open up the "Options" block. There is a drop-down box for "Generate Options." Switch this to "No GUI." Now you can just compile it into a Python file and run it either in GRC or from the command line. No GUI involved.
Tom

Tom:

That's not what Martin was asking for.

He's asking to be able to invoke the "compiler" part of GRC without going into the actual UI of GRC and asking it to generate the corresponding .py file.  I've also wished for that capability, so that I can ship .grc files only, and have a Makefile invoke the (non-existent) "--compile-only" form of GRC.