Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Volk branch on github

From: Nick Foster
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Volk branch on github
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:56:16 -0800

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:

On 02/16/2012 01:30 PM, Douglas Geiger wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps this is because you have a processor that doesn't penalize you
>> for unaligned loads/stores.
>>
>> -Josh
>
> Which suggests this decision may need to be made on a
> per-arch/processor basis, and therefore it may be most appropriate for
> Volk to figure it out rather than the scheduler.

There was some talk about making volk handle head cases (most kernels
already handle tail cases).

This would mean writing a volk_32f_x2_multiply_32f that calls
volk_32f_x2_multiply_32f_a and volk_32f_x2_multiply_32f_u based on the
boundary conditions.

Such a thing could be generated, so long as we have a way to convey to
the generator something about the parameters. Maybe we just need the
framework... and every time someone wants a volk kernel that handles
head and tail cases, they just fill in a few lines to the generator.

The side benefit to this approach is it lets us get rid of the tacky _a/_u suffixes and just use a single function call without the user worrying about alignment.

--n

-Josh