Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Citation of GNUradio codes

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Citation of GNUradio codes
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 13:59:56 -0500

Hi Nazmul - If you use the GNU Radio GIT master and update it regularly, I
think that

GNU Radio Website, accessed February 2012. [Online]. Available:
http://www.gnuradio.org

is complete enough, since it refers to both the project in general as well as
the code.  If you use a specific version (e.g., of the GIT master or a release
such as 3.5.1), you'd probably want to state that just to make it clear.  The
(La)TeX markup that I use for the above is:

@misc{url:gnu-radio,
  author = "{GNU Radio Website}",
  year = "{accessed February 2012}",
  url = {http://www.gnuradio.org}
}

The important parts for any URL-based citation such as this are: (0) The
project name, with any distinguishing characteristics needed to make it unique
(such as the version number or extended name if there are more than 1 projects
using a similar name); (1) when you last accessed the URL, since websites do
change and sometimes you won't have accessed it for a while before you
submitted the paper; and (2) a valid URL as of the month of last access (for
example, the above URL works with or without the trailing '/', while others
require it).  That said, before I submit such a paper I always work through the
URLs and update their info, verifying each one to make sure it is still valid &
if not then figuring out the correct URL.

Hope this helps! - MLD