Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Documentation generation using Sphinx

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Documentation generation using Sphinx
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 20:50:36 -0500

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Ben Reynwar <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

Every 6 months or so I have a crack at getting some python level
documentation working.  In this attempt, I've generated documentation
for the gr and digital modules using sphinx.

The generated html is at:
http://www.reynwar.net/gnuradio/sphinx/

Source for the generated documentation is at:
https://github.com/benreynwar/gnuradio/tree/sphinx/docs/sphinx/source

The documentation generation is semi-automatic.  I created files
containing lists of the objects we want to document, and organized
them into categories.  The actual documentation itself was pulled from
the docstrings automatically.  It would be necessary to manually edit
files when new blocks or other objects are added, so there is a danger
that this kind of documentation could become incomplete, however
because the content is taken from the docstrings it should remain
accurate, if not complete.

Are there any objections to me continuing down this path of
documentation generation?  Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Ben

I'm a bit confused, Ben. What does this do that we aren't doing in the swig_docs work we put in last year?

Tom