Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reference documents for the interpolation filter

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reference documents for the interpolation filter in the digital clock recovery block
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 08:36:11 -0400

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Anh Duc Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

I am a new one to GnuRadio. Now I am studying some implemented techniques in GnuRadio, one of them is the digital clock recovery. I would like to ask you a question that what are the reference documents or papers you used for the interpolation filter in that task (digital clock recovery). When I traced back the source files - digital_clock_recovery_mm_ff and then gri_mmse_fir_interpolator, I found only a little information:

 * This implements a Mininum Mean Squared Error interpolator with 8 taps.
 * It is suitable for signals where the bandwidth of interest B = 1/(4*Ts)
 * Where Ts is the time between samples.

I find it tough to understand the algorithm you selected, so could you please help me on this problem. I make a guess with the key words " Mininum Mean Squared Error", the implementation may have some link to those below papers:
[1]. G. Watkins, “Optimal Farrow coefficients for symbol timing recovery,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 381–383, Sep. 2001.
[2] Daeyoung Kim, M. J. Narasimba, and D. C. Coc, “Design of optimal interpolation filter for symbol timing recovery,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 877–884, Jul. 1997.

I would like to thank you very much in advance,

With best regards,

Nguyen Anh Duc

I'm afraid that's before my time. I'm not sure we have the corporate knowledge on that anymore.

If you find a good paper to describe it, let me know and I'll put it into the documentation like we've done elsewhere.

Thanks,
Tom