Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD Performance: Reaching 8Msps TX with USB 2.0 (

From: Vincenzo Pellegrini
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD Performance: Reaching 8Msps TX with USB 2.0 (?)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 22:45:03 +0100

Hi Nick, thanks for the suggestions.
I will test the args. What is the best (maximum?) possible value for the send_frame_size in order to minimize the overhead yielded by UHD?

Would it be correct to assume that the over-the-wire overhead yielded by UHD is larger than what the classic libusrp used to impose? If yes, by what scale?

The USB peripherals configuration does not differ when I use the classic libusrp version and the UHD. Also, the difference in terms of underflow amount when using the tx_samples_from_file (UHD) and an equivalent classic, libusrp-based utility is huge using the same USB controller, same hard drive, same OS (fedora 16) in both cases. Actually I'm using the very same machine to do the tests.

A friend of mine here in Pisa (Mario di Dio, he's also on the list) has obtained the same results on both Ubuntu 11.10 and Fedora 14. He had almost no underruns apart from some at the very beginning when he used his USB 3.0 port and lots of underruns when using the 2.0 USBs of the same laptop.

I think I'm seeing something macroscopic, maybe a macroscopic mistake of mine. May I know what version of UHD you are using and your OS?

sorry for the many questions, I'm just trying to figure out what I might be missing in order to properly use UHD for my purposes.

thanks