Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] Gnu Radio apps freezes (locks up)

From: Rickard Radio
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] Gnu Radio apps freezes (locks up)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:04:03 +0200

On Mar 29, 2012, at 3:26 AM, Tom Rondeau wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Rickard Radio <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> After I upgraded to latest Gnu Radio 3.5.2, and latest UHD (and images), GR
>> applications just freeze when running. No warnings, error messages or
>> overflows etc. Just freeze.
>> A simple FFT plot directly on received samples from the USRPN210 just
>> freezes after some seconds, or minutes (depending on the sample rate),
>> although the load on the machine is not high. Need to kill GR-app and
>> restart it, with the same problem occurring again.
>>
>> This has never been a problem with earlier versions of GR/UHD, from about 6
>> months ago.
>> The freezing happens quicker with high sample rate setting but also with
>> lower, eventually. No overflows happen (which was possible to get before
>> with too high sample rates or load, etc.)
>>
>> The USRPN210 stops sending samples to the computer at the same moment as
>> GnuRadio freezes (as observed on the system monitor).
>>
>> Same thing happen on two identical laptops running Ubuntu 10.10 (also
>> upgraded it from 10.04). Not sure if its a strict GnuRadio problem (since it
>> worked before), UHD, or some problem with the Ubuntu Linux 10.10. It
>> work(ed) flawlessly with another machine on OSX (before I tried to upgrade
>> GR on it but then got stuck...) with identical UHD version and images.
>>
>> Installation of UHD+GnuRadio with the automatic linux script runs without
>> any problems, as before, no errors or warnings.
>>
>> Any de-freezing help or clues appreciated!
>>
>> Rickard
>
> Rickard,
>
> Just to be clear. When you install 3.5.2 from the tarball, it freezes.
> When you use the build-gnuradio, everything works fine?
>
> What's your machine?
>
> Tom

Tom,

The installation with build-gnuradio script works just fine, as before (no
tarballs).
Same result on both laptops, Acer Aspire TimelineX with i3 processors (2.26
GHz),  running Ubuntu 10.10.
I did not have this problem earlier with Ubuntu 10.04. Or on a Mac with OS X
(with the source from git).  Could Ubuntu 10.10 cause the problem somehow?

Note: Halting/freezing only happens when running an application (with the N210)
as a receiver. (Not transmitter, see below.)
The flow of receiving samples just halts after a while and the application
freezes/halts (as a consequence).
This happen sooner with high sampling rate (after a few seconds with 25MSPS),
but eventually also with a bit lower sample rates. The CPU's are not
overwhelmed (< 50%).
It happens even if the UHD usrp source is connected directly to a null sink
only. I do not get any overflows before the halt.
In fact, I cannot even provoke a continuos stream of overflows since the
reception just halts instead of producing overflows, which was the result
earlier.
 GnuRadio itself does not freeze as a whole (like the grc in the background),
just the running application, which I then need to abort.

Strangely enough, this "freezing/halting" does NOT happen when transmitting,
correspondingly, even with high transmit sample rates such as 25 MSPS (or now
possible even with 50MSPS with 8 bit/samples!). Then it works just fine - even
without underruns (when using just a file source).

/ Rickard