Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with update of GNU Radio

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem with update of GNU Radio
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 09:49:40 -0400

On 03/31/2012 09:33 AM, frankist wrote:
Hi,

I am using the computer of my university lab which had the 3.4.1 version of
GNU Radio installed. I decided to download the build-gnuradio script from
the gnuradio.org/ website. I installed the newest version and now every time
I use the USRP it gives me this error:

RuntimeError:
Please update the firmware and FPGA images for your device. See the
application notes for USRP2/N-Series for instructions.
Expected FPGA compatibility number 9 but got 7:
The FPGA build is not compatible with the host code build.

This seems to be a problem of multiple builds, however the build-gnuradio
script says that it will remove any old version of gnuradio so I don't
know... Anyway, one possible solution would be eliminating every gnuradio
file from the usr/local/share, etc. and install everything again. However, I
am not the owner of the computer so I don't have permission to delete this
files.

So the only solution I have is making this work with the 2 versions
installed I think. Isn't there a way to do this?
The build-gnuradio script updates UHD, as well as Gnu Radio, which means that if there was a protocol version change, you'll need to update
  your N210 firmware as well:

http://files.ettus.com/uhd_docs/manual/html/usrp2.html#load-the-images-onto-the-on-board-flash-usrp-n-series-only

The build-gnuradio script *could* update the firmware semi-automatically, if people are interested, I can add this functionality to the "firmware download" part of the script. It could prompt you and ask if you want to update the firmware for your devices. This would be
  limited to N210, and maybe USRP2.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator