Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem in the update

From: frankist
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem in the update
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 06:50:39 -0700 (PDT)

Adam Nielsen wrote:

>> Now I am trying to uninstall gnuradio. I am a bit nervous because it is
>> my
>> first uninstall and the computer isn't mine.
>>
>> I am doing as http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/FAQ
>> tells
>> me, however, I can't find anything with the name gnuradio or similar in
>> these folders: /usr/bin, /usr/lib(64). Furthermore, I don't have the
>> folder
>> /usr/local/lib(64) in the computer. I wonder if this is normal
>>
>> I just want to check before starting deleting files. I don't want things
>> get worse than they are right now
>
> If you want to get every last file, and you know exactly how the old
> version
> was compiled (ideally down to the ./configure command) then you could
> always
> download that old version, compile it, then run 'make uninstall'.  This
> will
> remove all the files that would have been installed, so if it matches your
> original config, every last file in your existing gnuradio installation
> will
> be removed.
>
> Of course that's probably overkill, and if you just move the files to
> another
> folder instead of deleting them, then you can always move them back if
> something breaks.  In answer to your question, often /usr/local is empty
> until
> you start installing things yourself, so having no /usr/local/lib is not
> unusual.
>
> But if you're going to do the install on lab computers (where presumably
> there
> are a number of identical ones) you'd probably be better off taking the
> opportunity to make a package for whatever OS you're running.  Then you
> can
> install the same package on all your machines quickly, and when the time
> comes
> to do the next update the package manager will take care of removing the
> old
> files for you.
>
> Cheers,
> Adam.

Ok. Thanks for the tips.

I had to remove gnuradio manually because no make uninstall was working.

Right now, I am trying to install the old version. That might seem odd but
the program I have to show working friday, which wasn't made by me, only
works for the old version. I tried to adapt it to the new version and it
runs however, it doesn't have the same behavior has it had for the old
installation. Since it wasn't me who did the code I feel safer using the old
version for now.

I've found the gnuradio installation folder used by someone before me. I
installed the 3.4.1 version with it. However it didn't install the uhd.

The instructions I found for installing the uhd seem to install the newer
version. However, I want the version that works with 3.4.1. Any suggestion?