Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD with libusrp ?

From: Vanessa Quaranta
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UHD with libusrp ?
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:59:05 +0200

Yeah I succeeded!

I installed libusrp from apt-get install tool (libusrp-dev).

The problem was that this library isn't configured for working with 52MHz clock of my USRP1.
So I installed this library and then I replaced these files from /usr/lib by other files that I compiled myself from an older version of GNU Radio (3.2.2) on an other computer.

It's an unofficial installation but it work with latest version of GNU Radio and UHD :-D

Thank you a lot all!

Vanessa

2012/5/2 Thomas Tsou <address@hidden>
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:20 AM, Vanessa Quaranta
<address@hidden> wrote:
> transceiver: usrp_standard.cc:1024: virtual bool
> usrp_standard_tx::set_tx_freq(int, double): Assertion `dac_rate () ==
> 128000000' failed.
> 1335942873.3055 WARN 3078358736 TRXManager.cpp:254:sendCommandPacket: TRX
> link timeout on attempt 1
> 1335942873.3057 ALARM 3069520752 TRXManager.cpp:85:clockHandler: TRX clock
> interface timed out, assuming TRX is dead.
> 1335942873.3057 ALARM 3069520752 TRXManager.cpp:85:clockHandler: TRX clock
> interface timed out, assuming TRX is dead.
> Abandon
>
> So, I think the problem is the clock!
> How can I patch GNURadio 3.6.0 or libusrp for that?
> With GNURadio 3.2.2 we need to patch files  from /usrp/host/lib/legacy/*
> files but with the newer version, I don't know how to patch these files..

The 'TRX clock' error is slightly misleading and refers to the GSM
frame / timeslot counter. It is mostly unrelated to 52 MHz clock that
drives the hardware. The most common reason for TRX clock errors is
that the transceiver fails to start - no device present, tuning fails,
missing permissions, etc.

To be clear, GNURadio is not required for OpenBTS operation. But,
OpenBTS requires libusrp in order to use the USRP1, and  libusrp is
contained only in older versions of GNURadio. Version 3.4.2 was the
last that contained libusrp.

My suggestion for 52 MHz USRP1 operation with OpenBTS is the following
configuration:

openbts p2.8
gnuradio 3.4.2 (the last version with libusrp)

No other USRP related packages are necessary and no code needs to be
patched. While there are still some users that prefer version 2.6
derived versions because of the easier text file based configuration,
I suggest version 2.8 because of better maintenance and support you
will likely receive.

Also, with libusrp no longer being supported by GNURadio, the OpenBTS
mailing list may be a better place to ask questions.

http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=230904

 Thomas