[Discuss-gnuradio] GRC: New xml tags

From: sreeraj r
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC: New xml tags
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 02:13:27 +0800 (SGT)

Hi all,

I am currently extending gnuradio filter design tools and is planning to integrate gr_filter_design to GRC so that users can import filter specs directly. I went through the gui code and tried some examples by patching /gnuradio/grc/gui/PropsDialog.py.

Please watch a sample recording http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqLIPHXCM1M (kindly switch to high resolution). In my implementation I tried to update grc block parametes by handling stdout of an external program and from a file too.

I would mainly like to add two features
a) launching of an external application and handling the out (may be via stdout or using plugs and sockets)
b) File loader so that block parameters can be directly imported from an standard xml file.

Is it desirable to add some new xml tags (<launcher>, <fileload>, etc) to block.dtd so that this will be a generic feature that can be added to any block. Is there any other good and clean way of doing this?.

It would be really helpful if any one of the GRC maintainers can share some thoughts on this.
---
Regards
Sreeraj Rajendran
http://home.iitb.ac.in/~rsreeraj