Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] speed difference between ADCs and DAC's

From: wayne roberts
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] speed difference between ADCs and DAC's
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 19:23:06 -0700

I dont know if that tutorial covers the topic, try this http://www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/archives/39-06/Chapter%202%20Sampled%20Data%20Systems%20F.pdf

I think its simple to say why DAC and ADC operate a different speeds.
Its not just speed, also dynamic range (ENOB) is also more difficult to achieve in ADC.
Ultimately an ADC must guess at what the analog input is due to internal noises (sample and hold hi-z, etc), which is why the ENOB is always worse than the number of bits output digitally.

By contrast, the DAC since it operates in reverse, it already knows exactly what the signal should be, and just needs to switch in the correct resistor to produce the correct analog value.

A high speed ADC/DAC expert would say this is an over-simplification, but I only try to convey the basic idea.