Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] What is the largest data transfer ra

From: Nazmul Islam
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] What is the largest data transfer rate between the PC & USRP2/USRP N Series through a GB ethernet cable?
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 01:36:26 -0400

I am using gnuradio companion to transmit a BPSK modulated data. I have the following questions:

1. Does the complex int16 data type of the UHD: USRP sink correspond to the 16 bit per complex sample scenario?

2. I don't need to transmit any Q data since I am using BPSK modulation. If I connect a float data to the complex int16 input port of the USRP sink, does the USRP consider the input as a 16 bit real data? The grc file captured in the attached png picture shows the type of connection that I am asking about.

Thanks,

Nazmul

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:

On 05/30/2012 07:11 AM, Nazmul Islam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found a tutorial on GNUradio (
> http://www.snowymtn.ca/gnuradio/gnuradiodoc-4.pdf) that mentions that USRP
> downconverts the signal to 8 Mega Sample per second before passing it to
> the USB cable. They do it due to the 32 Mega byte data transfer rate of USB
> cable and 16 bit I & Q samples. I assume that this information applies to
> USRP1 with USB cable.
>
> I am planning to use USRP2 & USRP N series along with GB ethernet cables in
> my experiments. Do these USRP's downconvert the signal before passing on to
> the computer? If my computer is fast enough, can I transmit and receive (in
> seperate USRP's) a signal with 20 MHz bandwidth?

There is a downconversion and upconversion chain in the USRP. The
practical rate limitations are 25 Msps at 32 bits per complex sample or
50 Msps at 16 bits per complex sample.

Is your computer fast enough? Thats an open ended question, but if you
can test your processing IP without a USRP pretty easily: send samples
from another computer over GigE and benchmark performance to see if your
application can process the samples fast enough.

-josh