Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble with gnuradio and AMD32

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble with gnuradio and AMD32
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 19:29:20 -0400

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Looks like volk isnt detecting your machine right... hmmm curious.
>
> All, we dont have an sse machine generated since there are no sse only
> kernels. So that should be expected.

>>> Using Volk machine: generic
>>> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::invalid_argument'
>>>   what():  gr_block::volk_get_alignment
>>> Aborted
>>

> so volk_get_alignment() should be returning 1. Would that be a problem
> for volk_get_alignment in this particular block, Tom?
>
> -josh

Yep, it would cause this problem. That block uses VOLK, so it will try
to set the alignment property for the scheduler, which calls
set_alignment. That function checks to see if the multiple is less
than 1 and throws a: "throw std::invalid_argument
("gr_block::set_alignment_multiple");"

So yeah, with VOLK not handling that processor correctly, it looks
like it can't get the alignment right, either.

Would patching VOLK to return a minimum of 1 work, or is that just
masking a larger issue for these older processors?

Tom