Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio PER encoder/decoder

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNURadio PER encoder/decoder
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 13:28:03 -0400

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 5:44 AM, Alkis Gian<address@hidden>  wrote:
Hello all,

I would like to know if GNURadio has a built-in ASN.1 PER encoder/decoder
module, or we have to implement it.

It seems that this  should do the trick, but I would like to know if this is
the correct approach. My DSRC protocol is described using ASN.1 messages and
this is why I was thinking of compiling them down to C and then use the
encoder/decoder for the Tx/Rx directions.

-Alkis
Alkis,

Yes, I think you'll have to implement it yourself. The work on the VRT
stuff in the eb-oot branch might be useful, but I don't think the
effort on ASN.1 was actually completed. I could be wrong, but you're
best bet would be to lift any code from there any apply it as you
need.

Tom

<rant>
OK, so I've said this before, and I'll say it again. What do protocol decoders have to do with signal processing? Which is really what Gnu Radio is all about. The modern tendency to "stuff everything possible" into a single, "does everything" "framework" nauseates me. It used to be that modularity, and architectural separation were considered good things. Gnu Radio was developed on an OS with a long and proud history of discrete modules handling different parts of a workflow, using paradigms that were appropriate to that
  particular part of the workflow.

Where do we draw the line as to what consitutes a "reasonable" thing to be done inside the Gnu Radio framework, and something that is best done elsewhere? Modern operating systems, like Linux have a rich palette of IPC mechanisms that are specifically designed to facilitate functional decomposition, and yet I continue to see people wanting to stuff everything into the Gnu Radio framework. Gnu Radio is developing an increasingly-well-deserved reputation as "bloatware", precisely because we tend to entertain the notion that "if it starts
  or ends as a radio(-like) signal, then we're your one-stop-shop".
</rant>

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator