Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Profile gr python code using Oprofile and Kcacheg

From: Qing Yang
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Profile gr python code using Oprofile and Kcachegrind
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 16:33:49 +0800

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your suggestion, I would like to try it out.

Hi Tom,

Actually we are building a broadband OFDM system targeting at 20MHz. Now the transmit part can support 20MHz transmitting (set argument -W 20M), but the receive part will block and show overrun message once we set --sample-rate larger than 1M. We use Xeon w3530 and N210.

I think the reason is: the code of receiver is inefficient thus unable to process the samples from USRP in time. Before optimizing the code, I should first find the bottleneck--which module chokes my system--from the whole system's perspective. That's why I want to profile python code rather than C++ code.

Sincerely,
--
Yang, Qing
Information Engineering, CUHK

2012/9/1 Tom Rondeau <address@hidden>
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Christian Gagneraud <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 28/08/12 09:21, Qing Yang wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Where can I find a concrete example on how to profile the gnuradio code
>> in Python?
>

> Hi,
>
> I've just read about timeit in an article, not sure if it fits your neeeds,
> but just in case:
> http://docs.python.org/library/timeit.html
>
> Chris

Chris,
That's a good tip. I've used it before and found it nice to time the
runtime of a flowgraph.

So Qing, if that's what you were talking about before, yes, something
like this is probably what you want to use to time the execution of a
block from the Python world. I might have been confused what you meant
by wanting to profile Python stuff.

Tom