Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio package in debian wheezy comes without f

From: A. Maitland Bottoms
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio package in debian wheezy comes without firmware
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 19:45:19 -0400

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Rafael Diniz <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi there people,
>> Have anyone noticed that the gnuradio package in debian wheezy comes
>> without the USRP1 (at least) uhd firmwares?

Alas you didn't notice that I added to the package the uhd_install_firmware
script that will fetch files for you, check that the MD5SUM matches
what I think you should see, and installs them in the right place
for the Debian packages to work.

Try
sudo uhd_install_firmware

And it seems Josh has a similar tool in newer uhd git source.
(host/utils/uhd_images_downloader.py)

>> I'm afraid that's beyond our control, as we don't generate the Debian
>> packages.

It is in my control, and I suppose I didn't communicate enough about
how I was handling the firmware side of UHD packaging.

It was nice to see gnuradio distance itself from those issues.

Big thanks to the ettus.com guys for making the uhd-host package side
clean to easily package for Debian. And, at my request, they included
the LICENSE.txt in the binary firmware tarball to help me make the case
for including their generated firmware binaries as Debian package source.

I've also tried to get the uhd-images package at least into
Debian/contrib - but that is an uphill battle with the non-freeness
of current FPGA development tools.

I'll keep trying to do the right thing. You be sure to complain to me
about Debian packages.

-Maitland