[Discuss-gnuradio] gr_modtool update -- 3.7 format

From: Martin Braun (CEL)
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr_modtool update -- 3.7 format
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 11:52:51 +0200

For those using gr_modtool, I got round to updating it to the upcoming
3.7 module format.

This comes with a couple of caveats, though (and one bonus), so read
this before grabbing the file:
* The format in 3.7 is quite different from the previous one. Filenames
  follow different conventions, we have the 'impl' stuff (which is really
  the main change) and there was another switch from Boost back to
  CppUnit for C++ QA code.
* This means there are effectively two non-compatible versions of
  gr_modtool out there now. I don't see a way to merge these without
  considerable effort, which I don't want to invest.
* So there'll probably be two versions for a while.
* Most importantly, you can't use this version on modules with the
  pre-3.7 format.
* 3.7 has not been released, and stuff still might change.
* As usual, the script does not perform magic nor is it sentient. It
  assumes a certain structure of files and filenames and makes educated
  guesses.

That said, you can find it at
https://github.com/mbant/gr-modtool/tree/format37
(the master branch will stay at the old format for a while).

What might be nice: now that the out-of-tree modules look like GNU Radio
components, gr_modtool works on those, too:

<snip>
gnuradio/gr-digital [next●] % gr_modtool.py disable additive_scrambler
Operating in directory .
GNU Radio module name identified: digital
Traversing lib...
Really disable additive_scrambler_bb_impl.cc? [Y/n/a/q]:
Traversing include/digital...
Really disable additive_scrambler_bb.h? [Y/n/a/q]:
Traversing python...
Traversing swig...
Traversing grc...
Careful: gr_modtool disable does not resolve dependencies.
</snip>

In this example, additive_scrambler_bb has a unit test in
python/qa_scrambler.py, which goes undetected. But that's what the final
warning is there for :)

MB
--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)