Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How do I capture of the time of USRP N210 samples

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How do I capture of the time of USRP N210 samples with host computer system time?
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 18:14:38 -0500

On 01/07/2013 04:46 PM, LD Zhang wrote:
Thanks to Josh and Marcus for their comments. The set_time_now command
works! After I put it in, the earlier observed 0.5 sec offset between the 2
USRP became ~0.1 second. So there is still work to do. I guess my options
are:

1. Make the set_start_time command to work. My question is how I can make it
work in python. I hand edited the set_time_now command to embed in the
initialization part of the top_block.py code generated from GRC (which has
worked). Do I just hand edit the set_start_time just following that command?
Now the problem is that after set_time_now, the USRP time is sync'd to the
system time. But what is the argument I should give to set_start_time?

If you're running this on two different computers, and using the local system clock, it'll be hard to make both USRPs really agree on what time it is. Even if the two hosts are synchronized with NTP, you'll have to do a fair bit of dancing about to make sure that they both, more-or-less,
  do the set_time_now() with the same value, and at the same time.

This is why for precision synchronized samples, people use a GPSDO with a 1PPS output (to allow set_time_next_pps() ), and a 10Mhz refclock (so that the clocks on the two-or-more USRPs all step together at the same rate and phase).

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator