Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] make test hangs at gr-core-test-all qa_pdu

From: Martin Lülf
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] make test hangs at gr-core-test-all qa_pdu
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 18:03:02 +0100

>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2013-01/msg00488.html
>> with

>> with

>> > What version of Boost are you running? If it's 1.46, 1.47, or 1.52,
>> that
>> > would explain the gr-core-test-all. It's a bug in Boost that we get
>> hit
>> > with (and we're supposed to not link against those versions, but
>> > apparently
>> > haven't done that right; see Issue #513).
>> >
>> > The PDU hangup I think is a race condition. I thought that I had fixed
>> > that, but apparently not entirely. I just opened up Issue 514 about
>> this.
>> >
>> > Thanks for reporting.
>> >
>> > Tom
>> >

>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> thank you for your fast reply. Indeed updating to a newer version of
>> boost
>> (I moved from 1.46 to 1.53) seems to fix both of the issues. I repeated
>> make test for 10 times and both tests (as well as all others) ran
>> through
>> without issues every time. Before I hat to retry only once or twice to
>> get
>> a hangup.
>>
>> However I am still curious to learn how flowgraph start/stop works for
>> asynchronous blocks, as they don't have a start/stop function, as far as
>> understood. Can you point me to some documentation or a certain piece of
>> code where I can learn more about this?
>>
>> Yours
>> Martin
>

> I'm not sure what you mean by asynchronous blocks? All blocks run as
> threads. We can join them and interrupt them (all our threads are started
> with a Boost interruption point for this).
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

by asynchronous blocks I mean a block that has only message ports as in
and outputs and thus no general_work function. As far as I saw these
block's start()/stop() functions are not called even if I implement them.
So when does such a block start or how/when is it stopped again?

Especially regarding such a block's start please also see my previous post
to the mailing list