Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Google Summer of Code 2013

From: Carles Fernandez
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Google Summer of Code 2013
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:12:46 +0100

Hi there,

I would like to ask you about the participation in GSoC 2013 of the GNSS-SDR project under the umbrella of GNU Radio. Last year I served as a mentor and we all (the student, other developers and I) had a nice experience adding Galileo capabilities to the GNSS software receiver. We enjoyed it, benefited from it, and I would love to participate again in this year's edition, but I personally feel that only GNSS-SDR took advantage from the work done in GSoC 2012, having no impact for the majority of GNU Radio users.

GNSS-SDR is an open source Global Navigation Satellite System software receiver written in C++ that uses GNU Radio's scheduler, block hierarchy and some processing blocks. In that sense, we are *users* of GNU Radio but we do not contribute directly to the project. Since I'm aware that the slots are limited, I understand that developing other features for general GNU Radio usage (e.g. the Great Documentation proposal) can have a wider impact and more people can benefit from it.

Otherwise, if you feel that having third-party applications based on GNU Radio is positive to the project, I will immediately rewrite the description at http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GSoC with new (and hopefully cool) proposals for this summer :-)

Best regards,
Carles

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 8:04 PM, Philip Balister <address@hidden> wrote:
On 02/27/2013 10:49 AM, Dan CaJacob wrote:
> Really great documentation would be nice.  I know that it has been
> improving, but maybe GSOC is an excuse for a sprint?  Ideally, the
> documenter is someone who really knows DSP and what is going on behind the
> curtains.

GSoC is for code related work, not documentation work.

However, a proposal to write some code that would improve usability
should be OK.

Philip