[Discuss-gnuradio] Mac OS X, MacPorts, Boost 1.53, and GNU Radio

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Mac OS X, MacPorts, Boost 1.53, and GNU Radio
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 10:54:59 -0500

Boost in MacPorts was updated yesterday (March 5) to 1.53, which fixes the
threading issues found in the 1.52 release.  Unfortunately, it looks like the
Boost folks have broken 32-bit compiling at least on Mac OS X (all versions).
So, +universal (combined 32 ad 64 bit builds) are out, as are most older 32-bit
only computers running Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5, and even some on 10.6.  Folks
running 10.7 or 10.8 (which are both 64-bit native) should be OK so long as you
don't need a universal install.  I, and others, have verified that Boost 1.53
plays nicely with GNU Radio in 64-bit mode (unlike 1.52).  So, for those folks
still running Boost 1.51 (as I was), you should be OK upgrading Boost to 1.53
so long as you don't need a 32-bit version.  If you need a 32-bit version,
stick with 1.51 for now per the instructions in a prior email on this list (by
me).  You should be able to use "port -n" to upgrade or install without
activating the newer Boost. - MLD