Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Someone please to be explaining the plan

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Someone please to be explaining the plan
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 14:00:05 -0400

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 8:20 PM, Marcus D. Leech<address@hidden>  wrote:
... for gr-blocks/grc/*.xml

I updated my local source codebase a coupla days ago, and I'm tootling
around in GRC to see if I can find a vector signal probe.  Oh, look, there's
   one.  So I use it.

But today, I noticed that it wasn't actually under any categories, I'd just
found it through 'CTL-S' in the blocks "pallete" frame in GRC.

So, presumably, those will get "turned on" (explicitly listed in categories)
in "next", but they're there if you trip over them in "master".

Having tripped over blocks_probe_signal_vx, I don't want it to go away,
because, well it's awfully useful for one of the trippy things I'm
   doing in simple_ra now :-)

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator

Marcus,

The section "GRC and Doxygen Components" /should/ describe what we're
doing here:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Move_3-6_to_3-7

Basically, we've 'hidden' the old blocks from the category trees and
only expose the new versions of the blocks to help make your
applications forward compatible with 3.7.

According to the document sheet linked in that above page, the
blocks_probe_signal_[v]x should be located under the 'Measurement
Tools' category. If this isn't the case, it's a mistake and should be
corrected. But you can use that document to cross reference where
things should be located.

I emailed out a list of the blocks that were slatted for removal a
while ago to ask if anyone was using them. No on responded, so they
were axed in 3.7 (still around in 3.6). We're going to put up another
document once we've sorted it out and cleaned it up to make it
readable by people other than Johnathan, myself, and scholars of
ancient and cryptic languages. This one will list where all the blocks
came from and when to in the modules/namespaces/components, including
any that were removed.

(The probe_signal block is not being removed.)

Tom

Ah, interesting. So, if I check out 'v3.6.4.1', I get said block in the search results, but it doesn't appear in any categories, and there's no
  "Measurement Tools" category.  But build HEAD, and it is all as you say.

The build-gnuradio script now fetches the most recent tagged version, rather than HEAD. Which is why I was checking on things...