Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] WX GUI FFT Sink Performance

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] WX GUI FFT Sink Performance
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 13:02:09 -0400

On 05/16/2013 12:41 PM, Mark McCarron wrote:
Marcus,

Thanks for highlighting the limitations of the current implementation.  It explains a lot.  Personally, I would like to see a little more emphasis on useful GUI elements, not just accurate GUI elements.
So, you'd rather see fast updates of near-complete-nonsense, than slow updates of accurate data?  :) :)

In regards to the WX GUI FFT window not responding.  I have tested it with a very simple flow-graph.  A USRP source and the WX FFT GUI block.  If the settings are at address@hidden, it works fine, try anything higher and the windows greys out.  So, I don't really see where the issue is.
Works for me with the latest Gnu Radio on F14.

You may just be running out of computational steam in Python land, since the wxGUI FFT sink does waaaay too much of its "stuff" in Python land.
  Python runs up to about 100 times slower than equivalent native code.

I've attached a simple test that works just fine here.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator