[Discuss-gnuradio] Noise levels from a RTL dongle

From: alanwoodward
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Noise levels from a RTL dongle
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 15:40:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, I am new to Gnu radio but have it working on Mac OS X 10.8 and am using a E4000 tuner in a usb dongle. I have been experimenting with a Gqrx as well as GRC and am getting mixed results, with Gqrx I can get reasonable quality FM reception on 89.31 Mhz (radio 2 in the UK) with the wide band FM (mono) receiver and a 70Khz filter band. I have tried to replicate this in GRC as I want access to the demodulated signal as a live file (to be fed into a std unix pipe) for onward processing, however, the quality is significantly worse than Gqrx. Can anyone help with my GRC graph. Details are on my site, Woodstercorp.com Any help gratefully received. Alan