[Discuss-gnuradio] [GSoC] It has begun

From: Martin Braun (CEL)
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] [GSoC] It has begun
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 00:47:52 +0200

Hi everyone,

just a quick notice concerning GSoC: It has officially begun, and the
students who were accepted have been announced.

A full list can be found here:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2013/gnuradio

We had a huge number of proposals this year, and it was quite hard to
pick 5 students. Without going into details, we sorted all proposals by
our own grading system and waited until the number of slots was
announced, then picked the first 5.

There were certainly more than 5 fantastic proposals, and it's a bit sad
that we couldn't take more people. I would like to thank everyone for
applying.

I also want to thank all mentors for volunteering and helping with the
grading and selection of students.
Special thanks goes out to Jens, who volunteered to mentor two students.
This made it possible to simply pick the top 5 students from our list
without having to find a backup mentor or arbitrarily changing our
priority order.

A little stat on the side: An incredibly high percentage of
applications were for the LDPC codes. Why they are so much more
interesting than all the other projects remains a mystery to me, but it
seems we have some code afficionados here. Perhaps some of you are
willing to put in some time to write some other FEC code? We only have 5
GSoC slots, but that doesn't mean you can't contribute :)
Of course, that goes for all students. I do hope you are all genuinely
interested in the GNU Radio project and we will see you around.

So, the summer of code starts now! I certainly hope that we have 5
successful projects this year and 5 more contributors in the future.

MB

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Communications Engineering Lab (CEL)