[Discuss-gnuradio] Project Status: GSoC 2013

From: Shashank Gaur
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Project Status: GSoC 2013
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 11:50:07 +0200

Hello All,

I already sent this email twice over weekend, I am not sure if its getting delivered. Apologies if I spam the list/your inbox.

I am Shashank, one of the GSoC students this year. My project proposal was to work on IEEE 802.11 receiver developed by Bastian Bloessl at University of Innsbruck and as well an connector to Wireshark application.

As the time comes for the Developer's Call as well the Mid Term, I would be obliged to have some help/feedback from the community.

Since I realized that I have been and intend to stick around with the community for long time, so I thought it would be more useful to put up all info on a blog. You will find all the info here. I will try to publish some more detailed posts very soon. Also the code is available here.

For short, here is some summary:

Having almost same objectives and as well with some recent developments from Bastian, I have been trying to collaborate with him to develop the project, and with his insight its been much easier to work on the stuff. I have been able edit the gr-ieee802-11 in order to bridge the OOT module developed by Bastian into it.

The modified gr-ieee802-11 module passes out the pdu using parse_mac block as a pair, and the wireshark connector takes that pair, extract information and uses it to create the PCAP headers for Wireshark to use.

All of the reference for my work till now has been Bastian's Project

The main milestone I wish to finish up before Mid Term is to testing the bridge between the Wireshark OOT module and gr-ieee802-11 module and finishing it. Addition to that either convert the FTW tx for current module or use it to create a pseudo random ieee 802.11 transmitter. As well after that I would like to move to the other part of proposal such as working on channel encoding, higher modulations, etc. for the gr-ieee802-11 module.

Looking forward to discussing this in more detail.

Best
Shashank