[Discuss-gnuradio] Help: QAM Constellation and PolyPhase Clock

From: tom sutherland
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help: QAM Constellation and PolyPhase Clock
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:14:57 -0700 (PDT)

I have simple 16QAM Modulator block and am plotting the constellation with and without the a polyphase clock block . The constellation directly out of the modulator is not 16 "points" or even blobs but "random" looking points. I put it into a QAM Demod block and it demodulates it correctly. The constellation plot of the polyphase clock block shows  16 distinct "points" but when demodulated is quite noisy.
Can anyone explain:
1) Why is the output of the QAM Modulator block not show as 16 points?
2) Why would the "corrected" QAM Modulation not give better demodulation output?

I have attached the ConstellationQuestion.grc file.
Thanks...Tom