Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Zero Forcing (ZF) and MMSE Equalizer

From: Martin Braun (CEL)
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Zero Forcing (ZF) and MMSE Equalizer
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:11:58 +0200

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 02:21:43PM +0800, ZaInzAiN Jj wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to gnuradio and I want to implement Zero Forcing (ZF) and MMSE
> equalizer in OFDM communication using gnuradio.
>
> Which part need reconfiguration to implement them?
>
> I use usrp bus series and gnuradio 3.7.0.

With 3.7, it's quite simple. OFDM signals are equalized using blocks of
type ofdm_frame_equalizer_vcvc. This block doesn't actually do the
signal processing; instead, you drop in an instance of a
ofdm_equalizer_base class.

So all you need to do is derive from ofdm_equalizer_base and pass it to
ofdm_frame_equalizer_vcvc.

Of course, in a practical system, you have two components for your
equalization: The channel estimation and the actual equalization.
You probably need to work on both. However, if you stick to the current
OFDM frame structure, you will get an initial estimate of the channel.
If you have a static channel, zero forcing will work out of the box with
the available equalizers.

For MMSE, you will need a way to estimate the SNR inside the equalizer.
IIRC, you need the symbol alphabet for that. Simply make it an argument
for the equalizer class.

If you finish a working MMSE implementation, I'd love to see the code.

Cheers,
MB

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)