[Discuss-gnuradio] Updating gr-specest to 3.7

From: Jared Clements
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Updating gr-specest to 3.7
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 12:34:30 -0600

I've spent some time recently attempting to update gr-specest to 3.7,
and I've run into a linker issue that's a bit out of my depth, any
suggestions would be helpful.

I've been following the guide published at
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Move_3-6_to_3-7

I have so far accomplished the following:
 - Remove FindGnuradioCore.cmake and FindGruel.cmake, replaced with
FindGnuradioRuntime.cmake
   that I pulled out of
gr-utils/python/modtool/gr-newmod/cmake/Modules/FindGnuradioRuntime.cmake
 - Remove all GRUEL_ references and replace GNURADIO_CORE variables
with GNURADIO_RUNTIME_
 - Update #include<gruel/attributes.h> to <gnuradio/attributes.h>
 - Changed file structure:
   - from gr-specest/include/specest-blockname.h to
gr-specest/include/specest/blockname.h
   - from gr-specest/lib/specest-blockname.cc to gr-specest/lib/blockname.cc
     (actually, I think that there was some significant changes that
should have been done to split
     blockname.cc into blockname_impl.h and blockname_impl.cc but I'm
actually confused by all the
     blockname_impl.h that are placed under include/specest, and I'm
not entirely sure that the
     split didn't already happen under 3.6)
 - Updated gnuradio header files e.g. '#include <gr_sync_block.h>' to
'#include <gnuradio/sync_block.h'
 - Updated gnuradio classes and functions to new namespace, e.g.
gr_make_io_signature() to gr::io_signature::make()

Current status of the effort:
 - Complilation errors caused by the need for above updates now worked
out and the files compile without error.
 - Build currently broken, stuck at linker errors:
     [ 52%] Built target gnuradio-specest
     Linking CXX executable qa_arburg_impl
     libgnuradio-specest.so: undefined reference to `fftwf_free'
     libgnuradio-specest.so: undefined reference to `fftwf_malloc'
 - Will be looking into the FindGnuradioRuntime.cmake file I lifted
from gr-utils
 - Would love suggestions on how to debug this, "nm" and "ldd" show
issues but not root causes...

Future work not yet started:
 - updating the gr-specest namespace to the new format
 - adding new blocks:  cross-correlation, normalization, running sum, etc

I've posted all my code at https://github.com/dfxx/gr-specest.  Any
help tracking down the root cause of the linker errors would be
greatly appreciated.  I have the feeling that it might be in the cmake
configuration, and I feel somewhat like a bull in a china shop when I
start poking around in cmake.  Lots of delicate looking code in there.