Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio-Companion Documentation.

From: Tim
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio-Companion Documentation.
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:45:15 -0400

Docs can take a long time to build, so when doing multiple builds a day during testing you really don't want to have this turned on.   Likewise if you are building on slow machine or an older machine without sufficient doxygen.   But obviously they are valuable for users doing their primary build who want to use the docs.

I'm thinking it might make sense to just prompt the user when pybombs sets up its environment and asks for things like the prefix directory - for it to also ask the user whether they want to build documentation in general for all the recipes they will be building.

The main issues with this are,
1. there are not currently recipes for doxygen and it's dependencies - those would need to be written and would pull in a bunch of latex, perl, ghostscript, etc --
2. the dependencies for gnuradio need to change based on enabling/disabling this feature - we don't have a good mechanism yet in pybombs for turning deps on or off based on recipe "options", but we could add something like this fairly easily

At the end of the day we do have a choice now between trying to keep build configurations fairly static and simple (defined only by their recipe set and guaranteed for repeatability - which is great for performing repeatable testing, versioning, and packaging) or allowing it to become a monolithic thing that has lots of different user prompted states and options.   It's not clear that we can't achieve both - but we would sacrifice a bit of conciseness and recipe simplicity to get there

-Tim