Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] What conditions will cause block destructor to be

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] What conditions will cause block destructor to be skipped?
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 10:59:55 +0200

Hi Tim,

you're entering a minefield there...
Since you've built your flowgraph using GRC, you have a python-constructed
flowgraph. That's why things start to get confusing for the c++ developer.
First of all, destructors of python objects are called whenever the python
runtime feels like it - this often happens when you do something like
object_name = None
but it doesn't necessarily has to happen right away. The Garbage Collector can
choose when to do it, and sometimes, it decides not to do it at all - if your
program terminates first, this might be the case. Furthermore, if it decides
that at the end of runtime, it should destruct its output stream file handles
before destructing your block, your printf output might be lost.
Then: You have a C++ object wrapped by SWIG. So, what you're seeing in Python
is not actually an instance of your block, it is a SWIG object holding a
reference to such an instance. Usually, when that Swig Object's python
destructor is called, it should delete the block instance, too, but then again,
if I knew what really happens inside SWIG, I'd feel a lot wiser.
Lastly: Destructors doing actual work is a tricky thing. Mostly, because, what does the
runtime (both, c++ or python) do when a destructor throws an exception? In that case,
should the runtime ignore it and just think "meh, whatever, it's dead anyway"
or should it cause the program to exit with a failure state? And: what if a C++
destructor fails that got called by the python garbage collector? That shouldn't crash
the global python interpreter, should it?

So these are the pitfalls I could think of. Maybe the situation is a lot
easier, though :) Post some code, maybe a github gist or a pastebin!

Happy Hacking,
Marcus