Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [coproc] Domain concept for blocks and ports

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [coproc] Domain concept for blocks and ports
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 12:01:00 -0800

On 11/06/2013 11:23 AM, Ben Hilburn wrote:

> This goes back to the "ingress" and "egress" blocks that Justin's team
> used in their original design.
>
> I think having these transitions represented with such blocks makes
> sense, from a graphical perspective, but under-the-hood I think we
> should architect these "gresses" as zero-copies. How that relationship /
> responsibility gets controlled & delegated is something we still need to
> figure out, I think.

Sure, the working group is a great place to iterate on this.

>     Thus, again with minimally invasive changes to the GNU Radio internals,
>     this mechanism supports both single accelerator blocks as well as the
>     domain crossing sources and sinks.
>

> Yeah, this is a big selling point of the design, I think.

I rebased the first commit I did for this right after the conference
onto the current master branch and pushed it here:

https://github.com/jmcorgan/gnuradio/commit/aa6f59aa33a80c3c4b6b9adfc800d97282baf68c

It just adds the buffer flags member variable and provides the modified
io_signature functions to allow setting it, with defaults to make it
compatible with the current API.  The next step is to add the gr::block
virtual function signature to be overridden, and then to implement the
parsing logic in the runtime to know when to call that instead of the
built-in memory allocator.

--
Johnathan Corgan, Corgan Labs
SDR Training and Development Services