Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FFT --> IFFT

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FFT --> IFFT
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 18:47:05 +0100

As Martin said, a rect window makes sense, when you want to keep *all* the properties of the signal vector.
You experience leakage, but in fact, leakage is just a concept that refers to the input vector as a representation of a signal. And one chooses to use a window to reduce leakage, because for many aspects, leakage distorts what you want the signal to be.
However, from a mathematical perspective, the DFT (of which FFT is only a class of clever implementations) is only a mapping between two vector spaces (or even within the same vector space, if you want so). "Leakage" is no defect here; the transform of a vector is just the value that specific vector maps to. If you want to reverse that mapping, you apply the IDFT (IFFT) to the mapped vector; and it doesn't care about leakage etc, it just reproduces the original vector from the mapped one.

I have a rule of thumb:
If I consider the FFT as a bijective mapping between two vector spaces, and the IFFT as the inverse, then I don't want windowing.
If I, however, look at the FFT as a means to get the spectrum of a signal that has temporal properties, then, of course, I choose a window to avoid leakage, because I look at the DFT as a means to get a good estimate of the spectrum of a signal from a limited time sequence of samples.

In communications, you usually need to avoid leakage, thus you usually window the signal. That, however, might break reversibility of the transform.

Greetings,
Marcus