Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] HELP! - Problem with radio application deploy

From: Aditya Dhananjay
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] HELP! - Problem with radio application deploy
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 19:39:08 -0500

Tom, that was a very useful explanation. Thanks!

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Paul B. Huter <address@hidden> wrote:
> I recall that that was what you had mentioned yesterday, but could you
> explain why setting it to 15M will allow me to grab 30M?

Sure.

We're working at complex baseband. The signal you capture at 50 Msps
will be observable from -25 MHz to +25 MHz. Because it's a complex
signal, we have both sides around 0 Hz; also, it means that for a 50
Msps sampling rate, we can "see" 50 MHz of bandwidth.

So to get the middle 30 MHz, you want to define a filter that extends
from -15 to +15 MHz. A low pass filter is a real-valued signal. We
define it from 0 to 15 MHz, but because it's real, it's symmetric
around 0 and thus extends from -15 to +15 MHz.

Also, be careful about using 1000 Hz as your transition band. That's
still going to generate a gigantic filter. Using a 100 kHz transition
band with a 50 Msps sampling rate produces a filter 909 taps long,
which is very, very long.

Use gr_filter_design (launched from the command line) to design a
filter that's suitable. You can probably get away with a transition
band of 1 MHz.

Tom