Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] samples _per_symbol parameter

From: Karan Talasila
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] samples _per_symbol parameter
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 17:27:22 +0530

Hi Sandhya,
                 You need atleast 2 samples/symbol for demodulation. Normally when there are sharp transitions in modulated carrier, it results in high frequency components in the frequency domain. This is a problem because there will be power across frequencies beyond the bandwidth of the signal. Hence pulse shaping is employed where the time domain waveform is smoothened so that all the power in the freq domain is concentrated only within the bandwidth of signal and that prevents ISI. Hence because the waveform transitions are smoothened, there will be a need for higher samples/symbol to demodulate the symbol.