Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Install: qa_volk_test_all fails on armv7

From: Monahan-Mitchell, Tim
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Install: qa_volk_test_all fails on armv7
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 22:26:46 +0000

>>> After pulling the latest GR code (as of Dec 1) and doing a fresh build, my
>>> ARMv7 target's ctest output for qa_volk_test_all matches what Ken attached
>>> in the first message of this thread. So there is something still going on
>>> here. Is it possible some external component needs to be updated, that is
>>> outside of what's in the GR git tree?

>>> The output I originally logged in Bug #583 differs from our latest results,
>>> but the behavior is the same (in1/in2 values appear to match).
>>> The output I originally logged in Bug #582 (for ARM target) remains the
>>> same (in1/in2 values differ by 1).
>> I just did a fresh install on my ARMv7 of the entire OS and GNU Radio
>> from the latest git checkout (was testing Balister's new OE manifest
>> and SDK) and everything is working great here.

>> When you say you did a "fresh build", what does that really mean? One
>> of the quirks of volk is that cmake /has/ to be rerun when these kinds
>> of changes are made. Best really to clean up everything to make sure
>> you're doing everything from a clean checkout. "git reset --hard; git
>> pull origin master; git clean -dxf;". Then rerun cmake and make from a
>> clean build directory.

>> The above might be overkill, so if you want a quicker test, start with
>> the clean git pull of the latest head and just make sure to rerun
>> cmake and make, not necessarily from an empty directory.

Hi, Tom,
I tried these steps:
- Uninstalled gnuradio (make uninstall).
- apt-get update + apt-get upgrade for my ARM7 target (Ubuntu 13.04),
  which updated quite a bit of stuff.
- Deleted my gnuradio tree and re-cloned it.
- Checkout maint branch.
- Built as I have been doing.
- Same problem :(

Hi, Philip,
> Building gnuradio on an arm is silly :)
I bow to the sheer power of your A15 toolchain-rebuild cross-compile x86
prowess. :)

> I am wondering if the QA failure is relates, to the use of the hard float ABI.
For me, whenever I have tried to specify hard or soft float ABI, cmake fails.
If I don't specify it, it just works...

> I'm switching my OE builds to armthf now so I can compare my results with
> Tom's.
Thanks!

Tim