Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio 3.7.2 Windows?

From: Mike Willis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gnuradio 3.7.2 Windows?
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 17:44:49 -0000

Thanks Andrew – I had goggled it and not found anything helpful. I am not sure an earlier version of pyopengl would work but I suppose it is worth a try.

I don’t want an SDR like HDSDR, I want to use Gnuradio to do things most SDRs can not do – 3.6.5 worked but everyone has now moved on to 3.7 and I was hoping, perhaps naively, that it would be sensible to try to install it under windows.

Mike

<rant>

The problem with Gnuradio isn’t so much understanding the DSP side – it’s installing and getting the system to work and keeping it working. The main problem I find is the continuous changing of the basic framework often breaks many things in the process in a way that only an experienced python programmer can fathom how to fix. Even the supplied examples don’t work because the modules have been shuffled around, renamed etc. Instructions rapidly become outdated and the new user then has no clue why the advice they find on the Gnuradio site doesn’t work. Backwards compatibility isn’t a priority when developing a new framework, but Gnuradio in its present form has been around for 10 years so it should really have settled down and there shouldn’t be these big break everything changes with each new minor release.  If it were truly stable I think it would be much more successful by now.

</rant>