Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Finding a particular version

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Finding a particular version
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 08:48:01 +0100

Hi Niklos,

you're on a wrong track; when I had my first contact with GR, the
project was still using Autoconfigure/Automake for building. CMakeList
ist part of the CMake-based build system that GR adapted later on in the
3.4 development process (if I remember correctly).

And that's exactly where your problems start: That build system was
complicated, and not very flexible. Thus, it's not very easy to fix
dependencies if for example libraries used by GR changed their file
naming structure etc.
This wouldn't be a big problem if there would only have been a very few
changes in the open source software world; but remember, we are talking
about the world of 2006! So in order to get GR to compile you not only
have to get the right source code version of GR, you need to get the
correct development and built version of all the required libraries to
be *available* for your system. This is not very likely to be the case
anymore! Lots of things simply have changed since then - possibly
including not only libraries, but hard-to-tame things like autoconfigure
too.

To put summarize your options:
If the 2006 legacy application code is complicated, large and of high
importance to eg test the functionality, then set up a VM running a
Debian from back-in-the-days and try to build and run your application
there. Obviously, as you seem to be hesitant to port the application to
a modern GR (and from an application point of view, this is equal to not
porting it to a halfway-recent operation system) it will be
unmaintainable; and that is a bad thing (tm).

If you just want to understand what's happening inside your legacy
application, well, it might be easier to just read the source code (and
maybe port it to 3.7.2 in the process, which is easier than you might
expect due to tools that ease the pain of having to write a lot of
boilerplate code).

If your business / research really depends on that legacy code:
Get the source code. You *must* be able to get it from your supplier,
otherwise as Marcus (the other Marcus) already said, he'd be in a bit of
a legal problem. And as said before, since if it is critical to you,
you'll need to future-proof it by porting it to GR 3.7.

Greetings,
Marcus