Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] QT GUI sink: Seg faults in GR 3.7.2.1-149-g67aa04

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] QT GUI sink: Seg faults in GR 3.7.2.1-149-g67aa043b
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 09:35:01 +0000

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:25 AM, Tom McDermott <address@hidden> wrote:
> A flow graph that used to work in Gnuradio 3.7 now fails in 3.7.2.1
>
> I've isolated it to the QT GUI Sink component, which causes the flowgraph to
> immediately
> aborts with a segmentation fault.
>
> Core was generated by `python ./top_block.py'.
> #0  0x00007fc7f6c01125 in ?? ()
> (gdb) i stack
> #0  0x00007fc7f6c01125 in ?? ()
> #1  0x00007fc7eeca32e9 in ?? ()
> #2  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
> (gdb)
>
> Sorry - don't have symbol generation enabled....
>
> If that QT GUI Sink is replaced by QT GUI Frequency Sink then everything
> runs OK.
>
> Is this a known issue, or has the QT GUI Sink been deprecated? It appears on
> the lis
> of choosable blocks in Gnuradio Companion.
>
> I did not find an issue in the issue tracker related to this specific block.
>
> -- Tom, N5EG

Thanks for point this out. Can you open an Issue on gnuradio.org so
that we don't forget this problem? I won't have a chance to look at it
for a few days.

The qtgui sinks are not officially deprecated, yet, because we don't
have a replacement for them. I'd like to make a replacement that
simply wraps the other stand-alone GUI blocks into a tabbed view with
a few control widgets on it so that we aren't duplicating the
processing (which would also mean the new features like the
middle-click menu would be available in this mode, too). Once that's
actually done, we'll deprecate these sinks. Until then, we want to
work out issues like this.

Tom