Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSOC 14 project "Vector Network Analyzer"

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSOC 14 project "Vector Network Analyzer"
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 18:07:30 +0100

On 04.03.2014 18:36, MITUL VEKARIYA wrote:
Hi
I am Mitul Vekariya <https://github.com/mitul93> - final year student of
Electronics and Communication (ECE) branch at Nirma University, India.
I am very interested in mentioned project
<http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GSoC>.
I like digital signal processing, Embedded Linux, Digital Communication
and RF designing.
I didn't work on any USRP devices, but I have experience of FPGA
programming using VHDL and LabVIEW. I am familiar with SDR fundamentals
and GNURadio.

Mitul,

look at the emails we sent out to the other GSoC applicants (go to the mailing list archive if necessary). You'll need to start working on a proposal. Also, for this project, you'll need to make sure we know you know what you're doing from a signal processing perspective.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding Project, I've found one good document
<http://www2.ee.cityu.edu.hk/~sklmmw/apmtt/B2BJan14/day1/Agilent_VNA_AN_Basics_5965-7917E.PDF>from
agilent.

Summary of what I understood from that document:
1) Using usrp b210 I can generate pure tone sine wave as test signal
2) I will connect DUT ( device under test ) with external components to
the usrp  and measure transmitted and reflected signal
3) The amplitude and phase of the received signal will lead to different
parameters

How can we measure phase between two sine waves using FPGA? The method
of zero crossing is advised or not?
Please give you inputs on this project.

Thanks
Mitul Vekariya