[Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC14 MIMO Transeiver

From: kunal sankhe
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC14 MIMO Transeiver
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 12:59:30 +0530

Hello,

We are students of IIIT-Hyderbad, India, doing MS By Research and are interested in participating GSoC-14 by building GRC gr-MIMO module.

We are from communication background and have fundamental knowledge of MIMO and OFDM. Our main research area is to use MIMO technology along with concept of cognitive radio in Cellular network. We are well acquainted with GNU radio and USRP. We have started building our own GRC blocks. Also we have all hardwares required for the project i.e. Ettus USRP1, USRP2, daughter cards, antennas and currently placed order for OctoClock and N series USRPs.

Currently we are implementing Direction Finding using Root Music algorithm in GNU radio and are trying to build our own block. Our future plan is to implement MIMO Beamforming which is also one of ideas(MIMO Transceiver) for GSoC projects.

Below is basic idea which we are planning to implement in GSoC. It will be nice if you can share your suggestion and ideas, which will help us to make our draft proposal more meaningful for GSoC.

MRC Decoding:

GRC blocks : Channel Estimation and MRC Combiner.

A channel estimation block will use some pilot signals from transmitter to estimate channel matrix. Signals will be received from N channels and then will be combined using MRC followed by appropriate decoding. USRP devices will be synchronized using MIMO Cable/ Octoclock

MIMO Beamforming:

GRC Block: Alamouti algorithm

Transmit Diversity will be achieved using Alamouti code. Symbols will be precoded using Alamouti code and then will transmitted across two transmitting antennas simultaneously.

USRP devices will be synchronized using MIMO Cable/ Octoclock.

Thanks and regards,
Kunal Sankhe