Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] running multiple flow graphs simultaneously

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] running multiple flow graphs simultaneously
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 14:02:04 +0200

On 04/01/2014 11:29 PM, Rob Miller wrote:
> Is it possible to run more than one top_block at a time in gnuradio
> 3.7.x?  I have an application where I wish to run an additional flow
> graph periodically.  I have set up a thread that grabs samples via a
> probe from my main flow graph that is running all of the time, and uses
> that data to source another flow graph.  Everything appears to be

Yes, you can do that.
It might not be what you want -- running 2 top_blocks is a bit like
running 2 processes with one tb each.
You can have a disconnected flow graph in one top block by making each
FG a hier block, and then adding that to the top block.

> running, however I want to be certain that I'm not doing something
> terribly wrong --- especially since two relevant sources of information
> seem to contradict my current mode of operation:
>

> From the Python application writing tutorial (June 2008)
>
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/TutorialsWritePythonApplications
>

> From a January 2012 gnuradio mailing list post:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2012-01/msg00145.html

It used to be that you could only have 1 top_block per process. The wiki
page is not up to date.