Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fwd: Problem with getting clear FM signals using

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fwd: Problem with getting clear FM signals using the usrp e110
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 12:46:45 +0200

Hi Yassine,

Please don't be disappointed.
Honestly, it's a little unfair: You demand graphical + signal
processing performance from an embedded device.
People often do this, and I usually like to explain the following:
This embedded device has, for the ease of use, a graphical interface.
This doesn't make it a substitute for a PC. It is not a weak PC. If
you wanted that, you would have bought an old PC and a b100.
It is a powerful embedded device. It's intended purpose is of course a
demonstration of capabilities (like showing the spectrum of a signal),
but foremost it is meant to be used as a remote device doing its
signal processing on its own, without a user sitting in front of it.

Example?
You wouldn't want to install a PC with a screen at every GSM tower.
You'd like to have a small box with a network interface that you can
access remotely to install your new signal processing routines. It is
nice if it has a screen port so a technician might check stuff when
he's at the tower. However, that's not the main feature of that box.

So basically, you're asking a lot for a device that uses a small wall
wart as power supply -- it's not a substitute for a signal processing
workstation but a device where you can test and deploy the algorithms
you develop on a PC comfortably.

Greetings,
Marcus