Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PSK Demodulator performance

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] PSK Demodulator performance
Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 13:16:23 +0200

Hi Mike!

Well, from a purely algorithmic point of view, there is no approximate magic happening inside the PSK demapper
(from constellation.cc):
    unsigned int
    constellation_psk::get_sector(const gr_complex *sample)
    {
      float phase = arg(*sample);
      float width = M_TWOPI / n_sectors;
      int sector = floor(phase/width + 0.5);
      if(sector < 0)
        sector += n_sectors;
      return sector;
    }

This is "perfect" up to the degree that arg() works well enough, which is mainly a matter of float accuracy, I guess, and should therefore be well below any significance.

The other thing is the finite-length root-raised cosine matched filtering; I think you can derive losses for that, but I think Martin's approach of measuring things might be faster and more accurate in the end.

Greetings,
Marcus