Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to manage time!

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to manage time!
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 19:33:33 +0200

Hi Mostafa,

I'm not really sure I understand your question:
there is different "times" in DSP:
1. the times relative to the "information theoretical world", which
increases with 1/f_sample per sample
2. the time relative to the computing machine, which just runs along
while the computer is busy computing

Throttle is *explicitely* just a throttle block. For a *purely
simulating* flowgraph, you can use it to *limit CPU usage*. it has no
other purpose. It is a very very rough mapping of the first time to the
second one. It really has no data effect. I emphasisize this, because
that mistake is made so often: it does not change the samples at all. it
just limits the speed they are processed with.

I think your question is "I want to have a sample stream that contains
1000 bits of information for each second worth of samples". So you have
to calculate how many samples you have per bit at your specified
sampling rate and use that.

Since you write "I saw the trottle block but I don't know what it does",
I think you can learn interesting things by working through the
Tutorials on
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Tutorials from top to
bottom. This will clear up a lot of things!

Greetings,
Marcus