Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MSF/DCF/RBU Time Station Receiver Implementation

From: Iain Young, G7III
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MSF/DCF/RBU Time Station Receiver Implementation
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 20:47:44 +0100

On 15/05/14 20:30, Marcus Leech wrote:

I worked on a WWVB receiver a few years back.  Then realized that I'm in an
apparent "null" in the WWVB transmit pattern.  Even
    my commercial WWVB clocks cannot receive it.  Sigh.

Ah, that's unfortunate, to say the least. And now they've gone and
complicated it even further with the Phase Shift Keying stuff.

I have a similar issue with BBC Radio 4 Longwave here, despite not
being particularly far from the transmitter, it is def weak with me.

Which reminds me. DCF, Radio 4, and TDF (France) also twiddle the phase
of the signal for a more accurate timecode. I have the details of that
twiddling, but am at a bit of a loss as to how I might use the PSK
blocks and friends within GRC to decode them.

(For me, it's moving from the deep end of the pool where I'm very happy
fiddling around, and the deep ocean, so if anyone has any suggestions
on where to start that would also be appreciated.)

My PSK knowledge is entirely from Amateur Radio, although I did manage to write a PSK receiver in GRC that would receive all the fldigi PSK
modes, but even that was converted from someone else's raw python
flowgraph doing the same thing!)

Iain